Fort Selden Historic Site was established in 1865 to bring peace to the south central region of present day New Mexico. Built on the banks of the Rio Grande, this adobe fort housed units of the United States Infantry and Cavalry whose intent was to protect settlers
and travelers in the Mesilla Valley from desperados and Apache Indians. By 1890, criminals and raiding parties were no longer considered a threat as hostilities eventually lessened and the fort was no longer needed. Like many small forts in the
Southwest the government decommissioned the fort and it was abandoned in 1891. Today, a visitor center offers exhibits
on frontier and military life.
1280 Fort Selden Road
Radium Springs, NM PO 88054
View historic site website
8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., daily
Free for Foundation members - join now!
$3 per visitor
For additional admission details click here