Established in 1855 as a military post to control the Mescalero Apache Indians, Fort Stanton Historic Site may be one of the most intact 19th century military forts in all of America today. It is certainly one of the most impressive historic settings of any site in the southwest United States. Although the use of many military forts established during the western expansion diminished by the turn of the century, Fort Stanton continued on in its noble service to New Mexico and the nation well into the 20th century. The only preserved and renovated building at the Fort is now used as the Fort Stanton museum and administrative office. The Merchant Marine Cemetery at Fort Stanton, with rows of white crosses and a taller monument, is a dramatic site not far from the fort.
US 380 to US 220, at Bonito River
View historic site website
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Grounds Open Daily
10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Museum Open Daily
Closed New Year's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day
Free, donations appreciated
Receive free, unlimited admission to our museums and seven historic sites for one year - join now!
For additional admission details, click here